Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2020 19:36:57 -0400
From:      D'Arcy Cain <darcy@druid.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   WiFi hotspot keeps dropping

--LDYhXRN0AuM6yFy17cAmAawb6mLLMHqmy

--dT5pRMKn92grNpsrSuJlAnnVA4QSnFICF

I have set up my FreeBSD box as a gateway.  It used to work fine but
suddenly my hotspot keeps failing.  It drops a few times a day.
Restarting hostapd gets it back up again but I really want to keep it
up.  I am running FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC  amd64.  My WiFi card i=
s:

  ath0@pci0:1:0:0: class=3D0x028000 card=3D0x30a4168c chip=3D0x002e168c
rev=3D0x01 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor     =3D 'Qualcomm Atheros'
    device     =3D 'AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)'
    class      =3D network

It is a HP running Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz on 2 quads
and 16GB of memory.

=46rom my rc.conf:

# Internal wifi network
wlans_ath0=3Dwlan0
create_args_wlan0=3D"wlanmode hostap"
ifconfig_wlan0=3D"inet 192.168.225.1 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid druid"
hostapd_enable=3DYES
DHCPD_INTERFACES=3D"$DHCPD_INTERFACES wlan0"

If I can't keep it running can someone suggest a system test I can do to
decide that hostapd needs to be restarted?

One thing I found was lots of log entries like this:

ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)

=46rom reading up on that it seems that it is just a cosmetic warning.
Could this be an indication of something that is killing the hotspot?

Thanks for any insight.

--=20
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
IM: darcy@VybeNetworks.com, VoIP: sip:darcy@druid.net