Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:30:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com (John Reynolds~)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, ken@plutotech.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the CD driver supposed to attach() now regardless of media?

As John Reynolds~ wrote ...

> [ On Friday, June 11, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote: ]
> > One thing which also confuses some people is that sysinstall attempts
> > to mount the CD itself - it doesn't like it if you've already got the
> > CD mounted someplace else; it *must not* be mounted before you run
> > sysinstall or you'll wind up with an attempted double-mount situation.
> >
> > - Jordan
>
> Yup. Figured that one out years ago by emperical analysis ;-)

Never underestimate the power of human experience ;-)

> However, this was running sysinstall from the kern/mfsroot floppy boot
> process with no media in the drives at probe time.
>
> If you have media in the drives at probe time, then sysinstall is happy.  If
> you don't have media at probe time (but DO have the media in the drive well
> ahead of chosing the "media" option within sysinstall), Kenneth was saying
> that the drivers still attach() but then sysinstall is confused.

My experience is that as long as the CD is in the drive before you boot
the floppy sysinstall is happy. Put the CD in later and all bets are off.
This has been the case as long as I remember.

To be honest I've never considered this behaviour to be a problem.

Wilko