Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:13:42 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poll() vs select()

> From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
> Date: 1999-07-06 09:36:51 -0700
> To: archie@whistle.com
> Subject: Re: poll() vs select()
> Cc: hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> In article <199907050103.SAA51932@bubba.whistle.com>,
> Archie Cobbs  <archie@whistle.com> wrote:
> >
> > A new, faster event notification system would be great. But
don't forget
> > to include *all* events, not just file descriptor
readability/writability.

> Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  (I agree.)

To add to the confusion, we've implemented something very similar
for Mac OS X Server, designed to be a replacement for select(), and
for use in a similar way to select's use in existing code.  You can
see it in the Darwin code.  Check out "sys/ev.h" for a typically
terse description of the API.  In the released Darwin source, the
code deals only with sockets.

The Darwin release that deals with Mac OS X (possibly by fall)
should have a more involved design that deals with a number of
different kinds of events, including Mach messages (not a big deal
for this group, of course).

See www.publicsource.apple.com and follow the links to Darwin OS.

Regards,

Justin