Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:13:53 +0100
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca (Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group)
Cc:        security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating microcode on the fly

According to Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group:
> ========== ftp://ftp.sco.com/SLS/ptf3343.ltr =================
>
> Dear SCO Customer,
>
> The enclosed Support Level Supplement (SLS) PTF3343, the Intel Pentium Pro
> and Pentium II Microcode Driver, provides Intel P6 microcode fixes.

Apparently, this is an unrelated microcode fix for the P6. It probably
won't fix the illegal instruction bug which, according to Intel, occurs
only on the P5 :

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium/ppiie/index.htm

	This erratum does not affect the PentiumŪ Pro processor or
	the PentiumŪ II Processor.

[ Note their cute statement that "all the user has to do is reboot
  the system". They're apparently not aware about multiuser systems
  or remote administration. ]

And the famed BSDI patch is apparently not available yet:

$ lynx ftp://ftp.bsdi.com/bsdi/patches/patches-3.1/M310-hangfix
$ more M310-hangfix
The M310-hangfix beta patch is unavailable at the moment.  We'll
keep everyone posted.

In conclusion it seems that for the moment nobody has a fix: not
SCO, not BSDI, and probably not even Intel.
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr