Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:22:48 +0200
From:      Marko =?UTF-8?B?Q3VwYcSH?= <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 10.1 and ESXi 5.5 CARP setup

Hi,

I have CARP set up on two pairs of firewalls running OpenBSD directly
on metal. It works like a charm for almost 3 years now. Failover is
almost instant when shutting down master node.

I am trying to implement CARP on a pair of FreeBSD 10.1 servers running
on top of VMWare ESXi 5.5U2, but so far haven't succedded.

I tried both e1000 and vmx3f vNICs. I have made adjustments to ESXi as
described here:
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/CARP_Configuration_Troubleshooting#Hyperv=
isor_users_.28Especially_VMware_ESX.2FESXi.29

I had interfaces stuck in INIT mode until I found this thread:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2014-October/040116.html

After i put 'up' at the end of ifconfig_em0 It appears I am getting
MASTER and BACKUP, however on reboot of master, failover happens only
after master completely shuts down, which is almost 5 seconds.

Is CARP supposed to work on FreeBSD 10.1 as ESXi 5.5 guest the same as
on bare-metal OpenBSD (instant failover)? If so, I'd be very grateful
if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance,
--=20
Marko Cupa=C4=87
https://www.mimar.rs