Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:34:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How can I disable hyperthreads, but NOT smp ?

FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE system with two physical CPUs, each of which are HT capable.  From dmesg:

cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID: 0
cpu1 (AP): APIC ID: 1
cpu2 (AP): APIC ID: 6
cpu3 (AP): APIC ID: 7

I also see this:

machdep.hyperthreading_allowed: 0

The problem is, I have reason to believe that my workload benefits greatly from SMP, but is not playing nicely with hyperthreading.  That is, it is trying to farm out 4 things at a time to a cpu setup that really is only able to do two things at a time.

How can I disable HT completely, but still retain ALL the benefits of SMP ?

Thanks.