Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2018 15:58:41 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Abdullah Tariq <ab.tariq90@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NETGRAPH- bridge vlans using netgraph help
References:  <CAPFxuwQOBkGTHZbGfJz=-fUW8M%2BQGOpTM9T%2B-RO6H4fWcGEtqA@mail.gmail.com> <5AE216DC.7010905@grosbein.net> <CAPFxuwSEDTNhfn1%2B1nXPAC6skJt%2BdAych10FN9bwwBVdqevO2w@mail.gmail.com> <5AE33513.1000001@grosbein.net> <CAPFxuwRceDDoTw-4EohRdjUMSE-YN4YKWhbObuvEpxzEWOh2_A@mail.gmail.com> <5AE34754.6040905@grosbein.net> <CAPFxuwQ5TwZnnW%2B1TT7urq_0pgb=sM_VwH4x0eq0363MCdb7hw@mail.gmail.com> <5AE34CFA.7000207@grosbein.net> <CAPFxuwR54nPiKAAACRY5a_GvDNOVfdniqv6F_3PK4--7vm03uA@mail.gmail.com>

28.04.2018 12:49, Abdullah Tariq wrote:

You still top-posting. Please don't.

>     >     And please do not top-post and reply to the list, not privately. Thank you.
>     > sorry for that.
>     >     They do but that's not what you need. You deal with untagged frames on igb5,
>     >     so do not create any vlan on top on igb5 but use it directly:
>     >     ifconfig bridge10 create addm igb5 addm vlan3 up
>     > so if i need 2 ports with same vlan tags to communicate with each other
>     > i create 2 bridges
>     > ifconfig vlan2 create vlan 5 vlandev igb5
>     > ifconfig vlan3 create vlan 5 vlandev igb6
>     > ifconfig bridge10 create addm igb5 addm vlan3 up
>     > ifconfig bridge11 create addm igb6 addm vlan2 up
>     > is this the right way?
>     No. If you have two ports that should carry untagged frames and form single vlan
>     and this vlan has no other ports carrying tagged frames, then
>     this vlan effectively has *no* tag number, or better say, its tag number does not matter.
>     In that case, do not create any vlan interfaces for the vlan at all but bridge ports directly:
>     ifconfig bridge10 addm igb5 addm igb6
> So it is not possible to replicate behaviour of standard L2 switches
> using freebsd where we have different VLANs, access and trunk ports?

It is possible to replicate *behaviour* but not configuration style.

Unless you have real embedded switching chip in your system like many ARM or MIPS-based routers do,
in which case you can use etherswitch(4) and etherswitchcfg(8) to create vlans and configure
ports of such chip similar to L2 switches.