Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:25:00 -0400
From:      Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ron Tarrant <rtarrant@northcom.net>
Subject:   Re: HP & Brother Printers

At 10:22 PM -0400 4/8/1999, Ron Tarrant wrote:
>    I currently have an ancient HP LaserJet Plus attached to a FreeBSD
>box that acts as a server for the Windows boxes on our intranet. I'm
>using SAMBA. Whenever doing a print job, the HP spits out an extra sheet
>of paper after each job is finished. I saw a fix for this problem
>somewhere in the docs, but it was actually for Linux, not BSD. Besides
>that, it didn't fix the problem. With the number of print jobs we run
>here in a day, all the extra sheets are becoming a pain, especially
>since the printer is in need of servicing and leaves streaks on the
>extra sheets. Questions:
>
>1) Is there a FreeBSD (as opposed to Linux) fix for the extra sheet
>problem?

I suspect that the fireware in the printer is old enough that you do not have the option of disabling the banner page.  If not, telnet to the printer and disable this and exit saving changes.  Otherwise, you might try to update the fireware.

---
Bob Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Ohio Northern University, Academic Computer Services, Ada, OH  45810