Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:15:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      The Code Warrior  <jbowie@bsdnet.org>
To:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@kis.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SNI-12: BIND Vulnerabilities and Solutions (fwd)

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Dmitry Valdov wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is fbsd 2.2.1 vulnerable? If yes are there any patches available specially
> for FreeBSD?

	Well, I would have to say it is definitely vulnerable to the first prob-
lem presented, as the BIND code is all the same, and the 2.2.1 release has
a BIND distro which falls within the version constraints of the exploit, that
it would have to be vulnerable.  The second vulnerability however might not
apply to us.  I haven't checked the gethostby* libs, so I'm not sure if the
resolver does internal bounds checking, rather than just letting you overflow
the stack with a spoofed DNS name.  I will look into it this afternoon.

-Jon Bowie

SysAdmin / Consulting / TeenSysop.
603-436-5698       jbowie@bsdnet.org

"...And I still believe that I can not be saved."
                   -Billy Corgan