Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:58:27 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recover of failed vinum partition

Hello,

> > I have simple vinum concat partition of two drives of different sizes, but
> > they reside on identical drives. One (the first) drive has crashed and it
> > is completely unavailable for the moment. Unfortunately I have made an
> > error when tried to revive partition and at the moment I have this failed
> > drive replaced by another vinum partition in the vinum configuration. This
> > partition has different size than the original (failed) one. Is there a
> > way to restore the part of the disc which resides on the drive which has
> > not crashed? I.e., is there a way to recreate the old vinum configuration
> > somehow and then carry out correct revival procedure? I know parameters of
> > the drive, they are identical to those which has not failed.
>
> It would be nice to have a few details of your current situation.  The
> output of "vinum list" would help.

>vinum list
1 drives:
D a                     State: up       Device /dev/ad2s1f Avail: 99/100 MB (100%)
D b                     State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB

1 volumes:
V mega                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       8601 MB

2 plexes:
P mega.p0             C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:       8601 MB
P mega.p1             C State: up       Subdisks:     0 Size:          0 B

1 subdisks:
S mega.p0.s1            State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:       8601 MB

> If you only have one plex in the volume, you're basically hosed.  ufs
> doesn't provide for recovery of partial file systems.

Yes, I have only one plex. So, it is impossible in princile to recover the
data which reside on partially lost filesystem?

Yours,
Alex