Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 15:38:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Forcing IP packets through a virtual interface?

	I'm having a problem NFS mounting disks where the server is a
FreeBSD (2.1.5) machine with several virtual interfaces and the client
is an OpenBSD 2.0 machine.  The freebsd machine has two web servers in
two domains (www.homeport.org, www.chips4less.com).

	Having looked at a lot of tcpdumps, I believe that the problem
is that when Openbsd is trying to mount from machine A, it is
unwilling to accept NFS packets from machine B.

	Is there a way to force Freebsd to respond on the interface to
which a packet was addressed?  I've examined the release notes for
versions between 2.1.5 and the current -RELEASE, and didn't see
anything that seemed applicable.  (I'm considering moving the machine
to 2.2.1, to get the NFS 3 code, and see if that works any better, but
don't want to move without knowing that it will/is likely to fix the
problem.)

Adam

PS: If this is the wrong list, let me know.  "General technical
discussion" sounded closer than "user questions."

					               -Hume