Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 95 10:17:15 EDT
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   Hanging Netscape... how to work around it...

Hi All,
   In my continuing quest to get Netscape running I've run into another
problem.  My last email indicated that Netscape was hanging after printing
the uname() error.  Well, I tracked that down to the fact that it doesn't
seem to like my DISPLAY environment variable too much.  It's a standard
pointer to the hostname:0 type of thing.  Xterm seems to like it... but
Netscape doesn't.  Solution... "xhost +" and change DISPLAY to be localhost:0.
Hmmmm, something feels wrong about that...

   But, at least it got Netscape to come up with the Accept/Refuse screen.
I clicked on Accept and it put the normal Netscape screen up.  At this
point I click on Options which puts up the Options menu.  The mouse changes
to a reverse arrow and then the entire X session hangs.  The mouse still
moves around, but I can't changed window focus, etc.  I've tried different
window managers just to ensure that isn't the problem.  Nope.  The only
solution is to CTRL/ALT/F1 back to the console and KILL the Netscape
process.  Then the window manager comes back to life and all is well.
So far I've tried TWM and OLVWM.  However both have exactly the same
problem.  Hmmm.

   The configuration is a P100 running FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE with the
Xfree86 version shipped with 2.0.5-R.  I downloaded the entire kit from
ftp.freebsd.org (I own all of the CD's but 2.0.5 'cause my CPU upgrade
caused me to loose my SCSI-cdrom in favor of a IDE based one... the CD
became problem.  I've since loaded the IDE CD-rom support and all is
well... I'll order 2.1 CD when that is available).

Any thoughts or ideas as to what might be wrong?  I know that others
seem to be working just fine... what could be wrong with my setup?

Thanks,
   - Jeff