Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 17:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@xtalwind.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > NoThanks 4.0's  stock ATI ??? video drivers can't change desktop font size
> > > without a re-boot.
> >
> > Aw, gee, its a tough one this.  Can put up with NT's annoying need to
> > reboot after changeing IP settings etc or some of these screen
> > resolution issues in return for Excel and Word and VC++ and VJ++ and
> > Access and a decent choice of web browsers and Purify that I can afford?
>
> Unless you are talking about NT 3.51, you're wrong: it does not need
> a reboot, just an undocumented call into an undocumented DLL.  Microsoft

Now isn't that handy?  If you've got the time and inclination to reverse
engineer the damned thing you can make it do what you want, if not just
settle for what it gives you.

> just likes to ask for reboots because their change flag doesn't have
> the necessary granularity to distinguish between "changes needing a
> reboot" and "simple changes" -- all they see are "changes".

Now that makes it a real good choice to use as a critical server.  :)

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD