Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:27:35 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org> types:
> Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> writes:
> > It isn't SysV RC style.  It is BSD style taken to its logical next
> > step.  All the knobs for this are still in a central location, so you
> > don't have to make sure you get the hardlinks right.
> Correct me if I am wrong (as I am quite sure you will). The NetBSD
> style is shell code to start or stop daemons, sprinkled in lots of
> little files, which have to exist in at least one (if not several)
> directories.
>
> How is this all in a central location?

The *knobs* are all in a central location - /etc/rc.conf. There
shouldn't be any problem importing the NetBSD rc system so that the
current rc.conf can be used. It's not clear that's the way you want to
do things, as the NetBSD rc system may make more rational options
available in some cases.

> You'll have to excuse my kneejerk here if I am clueless, more than a
> hundred times have I seen someone wondering why a service didn't start
> on linux/solaris/hpux and it turned out that someone put a regular
> file in a directory that was supposed to have links in it.

The only thing that the NetBSD system has in common with the SysV one
those system use is the ability to start/stop a daemon via a script,
ala our current $(LOCALBASE)/etc/rc.d.

You asked for a URL to get information about the system. Try <URL:
http://www.netbsd.org/ >. Install -current, and have a look at it. Not
only is it easier to use than the monolithic scripts that date from
v7, it's more modular, will be easier to maintain, and easier to add
local extensions to.

Last time this thread came up, I volunteered to do with, then someone
with the commit bit said *they* would do it. I'm still willing to do
this, or help anyone else who's working on it.

	<mike