Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 18:23:45 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/6812: New port: GNU plotutils

I've looked at both applications with similar objectives.

For SPICE you don't need plot utils: SPICE has an option for MFB that you can
activate by adding -DUSE_MFB (or something like that) to files/FreeBSD. I tried
this before sending my latest patches to SPICE, but it didn't work under vt***
or under X11's Tektronix emulator. Maybe it's a matter of tweaking with mfbcap.
(One linux guy said he had MFB working under Linux, but from his patches I'm
sure he didn't have anything we don't).
BTW, MFB also supports the VGA (DOS) screen.

The advantage of plotutils is that it's SCO (and other SYSVs) compatible.

Good luck on that one,

    Pedro.