Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 05:44:40 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD? :-)

>  The other good thing about OS/2 is that setting up dialup to the
>  internet is painless. It took me weeks to get FreeBSD connected to
>  the internet and even then with LOTS of help. My first internnet
>  experience was with OS/2 and I got everything running in minutes not
>  weeks.

Yes, it is pretty easy, although I never made use of it. I use a
FreeBSD system as a router for a local network. :)

>  I think Unix/FreeBSD won't get more acceptance at the desktop until
>  there is more emphasis placed on usability.  For instance setting up
>  dialup PPP should not require people to understand so many things.

You're leaving out or missing a large part of the picture.

FreeBSD is not just a client system, and that's all the internet
dialer can really do. If you had to set up an OS/2 system as a
PPP server (which FreeBSD, as delivered, is quite capable of
doing), then I daresay you'll be in for all sorts of problems.

Sure, FreeBSD is more complex to set up for the simple client
environment, but the emphasis on its development and use is not
really as a client system; ie. the "desktop". It can certainly
make a fine desktop system, but unlike the OS/2 system, it can
make an even better server. IBM's focus has obviously been more
specific, and therefore they can afford to cater for the desktop
user.

>  If I knew more I would write a darn perl script (I just copied some
>  files people gave me to get my ppp going). I do admit that once I had
>  a different provider and it was much easier, but my current provider,
>  IBM Net,  uses chap/pap(?).

So do I, incidently, with FreeBSD at both ends.

Have you seen the handbook? If so, in what way didn't it provide the
information you needed to get ppp going?  This document is the
real help-line.

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/