Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:34:22 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: static ip address and ifconfig

Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> writes:
>>
>>> For anyone being a professional company who wants permanent presents
>>> on the internet will pay extra fees for static ip
>>> address because static ip address never change and this is required for
>>> domain name registration. Dynamic ip address are normally assigned by the
>>> ISP for home users having dsl or tv cable internet connections. Dynamic
>>> ip address can change and if used for domain name registration the users
>>> FQDN will no longer point to the correct host.
>>
>> In the interests of figuring out the right kind of answer here:
>>
>> Do you understand the different types of DNS records?
>>

> Yes I have basic DNS processing understanding.
> But lets not get side tracked by something the question is not asking
> about. Please Focus on the part of the post you cut out which is
> asking about static ip addressees.

Okay, good. I'll assume that the DNS issues aren't relevant, then.

The simple answer is:
the IP address(es) shown by 'ifconfig' will be the ones actually bound
to that interface on that machine.

Without knowing *how* you're binding those addresses, we can't tell you
which of your 25 "static" addresses are bound on any particular
machine. In most cases, I expect static addresses to be directly
configured on the specific machine in question. Since you control that
machine, and don't know what address(es) are configured, that probably
isn't the case. As a second possibility, the addresses are allocated
statically, but the host is configured via DHCP, from a server that
knows those addresses are statically assigned to that host by hardware
address or some other DHCP option. In this case, there will almost
certainly be exactly one of your 25 static IP addresses bound to this
specific host's network interface.

But, again, the key piece of information is how the addresses are
getting bound.