Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2018 05:02:03 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A request for unnested UFS implementation in MBR

On 07/09/18 04:34, Gary Palmer wrote:
> I do not understand why you need to create the BSD label.  Nothing
> in the GEOM framework is forcing you to do that
>
> Is this for a bootable disk or just storage?

Perhaps my understanding of the situation was incomplete.

Following up on your reply, I see that creating UFS directly on the
freebsd slice does seem to work well:

/root <<: gpart destroy -F da0
da0 destroyed
/root <<: ls /dev/da*
/dev/da0
/root <<: gpart create -s MBR da0
da0 created
/root <<: gpart add -t freebsd da0
da0s1 added
/root <<: newfs /dev/da0s1

1) Is that a standard, acceptable way of working with UFS ? I have
always thought the only way to use UFS under MBR was to first a BSD nest.

2) And also, I think cannot get that behaviour during FreeBSD
installation with MBR + UFS, which stills leads to creation of the
unnecessary 'a' device when a user installs FreeBSD on a single, primary
partition.

Your answer - and my interpretation thereof - means possibly things are
just fine the way they are   : - )

Thanks for replying.
Manish Jain