Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 23:08:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: used to think I understood ps ..

> > 1000  3055   298  12 -18  0   140 7588 vnread D+    p2    0:20.99 cmp -l two
> >
> > Here RSS >> VSZ apparantly. I was under the impression VSZ <= RSS ??
> >
> > FWIW the cmp compares two 120Mb files (raw satellite images)
>
> I would think this would be legal for a program with a shared
> libc that hasn't used most of libc yet, but the libc is in core
> because other programs have?
>
> 					Terry Lambert

I'm not sure I understand your point. Considering:

# size libc.so.2.1
text    data    bss     dec     hex
339968  16384   48004   404356  62b84

I'd assume a worst case program would need all of libc. The approx
7.5Mb RSS seems quite steep (to say the least).

What makes ps decide to include shared lib code in the RSS calculation?
(maybe RTFS ?) Would not it be fair to consider libc.so are shared burden
that is system wide desperately needed?

Maybe it's just me.. But please try to enlighten me.

Wilko