Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 95 1:00:05 GMT
From:      James Vaughton <vaughton@tower-unix.city-poly.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions (FreeBSD Questions List) <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Two problems: printer speed and tcl/tk install... HELP!

Two quick problems, any suggestions folks ? ...

1.)    Printing from 2.0-RELEASE on a parallel printer on a P90 on device
       /dev/lpt0... When printing on this device the printer seems to print
       at a rate of somewhere between one and two characters per second. It
       should be said that it does print exactly the right thing just very,
       VERY, VERY slowly...

       The cables and printer seem to be alright (from DOS it prints at about
       80-100 characters per second).

       Could lpd have been "nice'd" somehow down far too low or something
       similar ?

       I should probably also mention that FreeBSD is running with XFree86
       and every other application seems to run without any speed problems
       either in single user mode or under X. The printcap entry simply
       lists the device as /dev/lpt0 (which I have re-MAKEDEV'd to check)
       without any filters or special abilities setup.

2.)    I tried to install tcl/tk and XF and whenever I attempt to execute
       the wish interpreter I get back an error stating unable to initialise
       "tk_library" whatever that is...

       To install it I unpacked the distribution below /usr/local as the
       docs seem to suggest. I also ensured that /usr/local/lib was set in
       the ldconfig path.

Any help greatly appreciated...

Regards,

James V.