Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:04:38 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Gurpratap Singh <GSingh@exodus.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports

On Thu, 09 Jul 1998 at 13:38 SAT, Gurpratap Singh wrote:

> I have a query, i am running tcp_wrapper7.6 on my system, i have
> enteries in my hosts.deny such as.
> ALL : ALL
> Now would this entry also disallow external users to connect like
> telnet server 25(at smtp port).
>
> How can i achievw this by tcp_wrapper or any other software.I do not
> want to buy Firewall software.

A very general answer would be:  Use ipfw.

See the ipfw(8) man page for more info.  In general, you'll have to:

- compile and install a kernel with ipfw support
- edit /etc/rc.firewall to taste
- reboot

In reality, the process tends to be a bit more complex.  ;-)  Try the books
mentioned in the comments of /etc/rc.firewall

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878