Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:56:46 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Customizing menus in 2.10Beta

> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:34:29 +0100 (CET)
> From: Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
>
> > Now I would also like to create a new menu directory (called "Math") for
> > xmaxima. Could you give me a hint, how to do this?
> Found that one out myself:
> There exists a file called /usr/X11R6/etc/menus/applications.menu
> Where one can place an entry like this:
>
>  	--------------------------------------------
>    <!-- Math -->
>    <Menu>
>      <Name>Math</Name>
>      <Directory>Math.directory</Directory>
>      <Include>
>        <And>
>          <Not>
>            <Or>
>              <Category>Qt</Category>
>              <Category>KDE</Category>
>            </Or>
>          </Not>
>          <Category>Math</Category>
>        </And>
>      </Include>
>    </Menu>
>
>  	---------------------------------------
> Specs for all this can be found on
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

Uli,

I have been reading the docs and I will admit that I am probably
confused.

First, my applications.menu file is /usr/X11R6/etc/xdg/menus/. Are you
sure of the location on your system?

The desktop files are the easy part. It's the menu stuff that has me lost.

I would really like to add a new menu (on the panel) for "Remote
Access", but I have at least been able to get it into the "Applications"
menu. Something creates the "places " and "Desktop" menus, but I have
been unable to find it. Are they hard-coded?

Any references beyond the freedesktop menu spec?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)