Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:29:20 +0100
From:      Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   System locking up.

Hi All,

I have a system that is being problematic, I suspect but I cannot say for s=
ure it is maybe related to ZFS as I have a fairly large ZFS pool on the mac=
hine. The system will just lock up, local console does not respond to the k=
eyboard, num lock still changes the led on the keyboard, the system still r=
esponds to pings but you cannot ssh to the unit. The behaviour is random th=
e system can be running for 50 days plus with no issues then suddenly it en=
ters this state, the error logs do not show anything.

System 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0
AMD 64

Running on an AMD x2 5600
4gb of DDR2
Gmirror 80gb boot disks
6 x 1.5TB SATA II disks using AHCI

Loader.conf

vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=3D0
//vfs.zfs.txg.timeout=3D"5"
vm.kmem_size=3D"1024M"
vm.kmem_size_max=3D"1024M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max=3D"100M"
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size=3D"100M"

ZFS filesystem version 4
ZFS storage pool version 15

Is this likely to be a case of just not enough ram? Or is there some other =
trouble shooting I could do to try and nail down what is going on as it ten=
ds to happen when the ZFS zpool is being accessed heavily.

Regards

Graeme