Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 12:57:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Interesting NFS problem with -current

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Scenario:  Several hosts with cross-mount privs managed by AMD.  Host foo
> exports its cdrom drive to host bar, which can see it in /host/foo/cdrom.
> So far, so good.  Now say that foo unmounts the CD in the drive and mounts
> a new one.  Host bar now sees:
>
> 	<some command>: /host/foo/cdrom: Stale NFS file handle

> same time as the access, host foo prints:
>
> fhtovp: file start miss 60 vs 20
>
> On its system console.
>
> I figure this is something to do with NFS v3, but perhaps the data
> is of use to someone working in that area.

The decision of the cd9660 code whether some NFS client is accessing a
stale NFS file handle (i.e. one that's been granted for a previous CD)
is rather a crock.  I haven't got a good idea on how to solve this
better.

I suspect the generation of stale NFS file handles for removable
sd-type disks might be as broken as well, but it's not as obvious
there as for CDs.  Might become a point with the advent of ZIP drives
however.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/