Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 22:11:37 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EDO & Memory latency

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Warner Losh wrote:

> : The external bus of the Pentium 75 should be 50Mhz. It is 1.5x50, not
> : 3x25. 60ns EDO sounds like an overkill for a Pentium 75 though...
> : I would use a quicker processor and (120) with ordinary memory
> : (fast-page, 70ns) - but the likes may vary.
>
> This reminds me of a question that I've wanted to ask for a while.
> Does anybody know where I can find a good writeup on the various
> Pentium chip speeds and how they relate to bus speeds?
>
> I'm most interested in the P5-83 which is an upgrade to my dx2-66.  It
> sounds as if it is running at 2.5x my bus speed, which is odd to say
> the least.

It's pretty easy - they run at speeds of 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x (and maybe 3x)
of the external bus speed, which is presently one of 50Mhz, 60Mhz, and
66Mhz. Pentium Pro 200 should be 3x66, and P5-166 is 2.5x66. I don't
think there are other "legal" external bus speeds or multiplyers than these
currently. Check out Intel's WWW page at http://www.intel.com.

> Warner

	Sander

being .sigless still