Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:26:39 +0200
From:      Robert Millan <rmh@freebsd.org>
To:        Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allow user install

2012/6/26 Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>:
> The patch below is a step towards supporting unprivileged buildworld
> etc.  Eg.
>
> $ cd bin/cat
> $ make -n install DESTDIR=/tmp
> install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   cat /tmp/bin
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444 cat.1.gz  /tmp/usr/share/man/man1
> $ make -n install -DWITHOUT_INSTALL_OWN DESTDIR=/tmp
> install -s  -m 555   cat /tmp/bin
> install  -m 444 cat.1.gz  /tmp/usr/share/man/man1
> $

Just FYI, Debian archieves this in a very different approach: it uses
the fakeroot tool to fool the makefiles into creating "fake"
ownerships.  This has the advantage that it works for any sort of
extraneous makefiles, not just for your own build system:

http://fakeroot.alioth.debian.org/

I notice that FreeBSD integrates external build systems into its own,
although this practice is a lot less common than it is for Debian.
Perhaps you find fakeroot (or the idea behind it) useful...

--
Robert Millan