Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:18:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, eivind@yes.no, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is teletext (was Re: "Windows 98" program guides)

> // These data are encoded with a very simple NRZ modulation (black=0,
> // white=1) of the video signal, with a frequency of approx 6.75 MHz.
>
> This is the dot freq, right ?  So it must be less on NTSC and/or PAL/M.

not really sure about that, but if you browse the net looking fo "VBI"
you should find out.

> Do you have some soft algorith for this ?  I'd like to peek at those
> digital lines I see.  Maybe there is a Station to Station command
> to inform about commercial beginning and end.  I could use it to
> mute fxtv.  :)

the ttxt.c code from my page does the soft decoding. there is some uk
site with info on teletext formats (again i forget the URL but
altavista is your friend).

> Do you know if Closed Caption info is sent by this way ?  If so,
> generic Hauppauge model 400 can also receive this, as the windows
> driver seems to be able to do that (but I could not test yet).

i think yes, closed caption go on these lines although perhaps with
different data rates etc (i guess so since there were some projects
using the PIC microcontroller to decode closed-captioning and i doubt
the PIC can go so fast... so perhaps closed-captioning is only a few
bits per line), since you have 50-60 fields/s and that's more than
enough for one line of text, probably even at 1-2 bits/line

	cheers
	luigi