Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 2009 23:14:13 +0100
From:      ocean <ocean_ieee@yahoo.it>
To:        Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_8 buildworld broken?

Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> Actually, the way you specified CFLAGS overrides CPUTYPE. AFAIK you should set
> CFLAGS/CPUTYPE like this:
> CPUTYPE?=....
> CFLAGS+=...
>
> Though bothering with CPUTYPE or CFLAGS is actually a waste of time if you ask
> me. I've never observed any measurable improvement in the speed of the system
> by setting these. Note that most ports which DO benefit from specialized
> CFLAGS (mplayer comes to mind) have an option called WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.

i specified it with CPUTYPE?=... and wasn't working for buildworld, had to add it in CFLAGS. also doing "make buildworld CPUTYPE=..." didn't work.

on my (old) notebook i noticed good improvements in the boot process, it was taking lot of time to start maybe one minute, with a recompiled kernel with ipv6.
without ipv6 with tweaked CFLAGS boots in less than 30 seconds (~24 seconds).

regards
ocean