Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:32:21 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Sri Ramkrishna <sramkris@ichips.intel.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>, Jason Francis <jasonf@citynet.net>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:53:47PM +0100, Doug Rabson scribbled:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> > It's like wheat germ stuff that are popular in the south.  It's somehwat
> > like oats.  They usually have it with a lot of butter or some jelly.
> > It's mostly tasteless.
>
> Sounds a lot like porridge :-(.

In London, go have rice porridge (sometimes called rice soup)  :)
in Cantonese restaurants in Chinatown.  A dimsum place should have it.
Ask for a rice porridge with beef and a raw egg in it.

The soup is hot, so the raw egg is cooked when you stir the soup,
and the soup is hence cooled down to a nice temperature.
Try it before you really decide to hate porridge. :)

> > To keep this on topic though, I remember some talk about journalling
> > filesystems and getting that.  Hopefully we'll have one one of these
> > days.  With disks getting larger and larger (EMC has 181G drives) it's
> > getting harder not to go with a journalling type of filesystem.  In
> > any case, it's just a off hand comment.   We'll get there I'm sure.
>
> Actually, back on topic, I think that FFS+softupdatess+background fsck
> gives virtually all the benefits of journalled filesystems.

We may need to improve FFS a bit and enhance it with some good features
like a versioned filesystem, cryptofs with kernel support, AFS-like
features of switching data between volumes, failover writes, etc.

--
Michael C. Wu        +1-512-7757700
keichii@{iteration.net|freebsd.org}