Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:01:48 +0100
From:      Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Current' <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA mkIII first official patches - please test!

On Feb 5, 2005, at 22:31, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:

> Frode Nordahl wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 2005, at 21:52, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
>>> ATA-mkIII first official snapshot.
>> # atacontrol status ar0
>> atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDSTATUS): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> # atacontrol rebuild ar0
>> atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDREBUILD): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> I tried to copy in sys/sys/ata.h to /usr/include/sys/ and rebuild=20
>> atacontrol as well.
>
> Those ioctl's are not supported yet. As stated ataraid can only read=20=

> the metadata so far, not write them. I didn't implement the status=20
> ioctl as its part of the interface to write metadata (ie create=20
> arrays), and I havn't made up my mind yet on that...

I actually have a system with a failed drive in it now. :-)

Whenever the erronous parts of the disk is  read, it properly takes the=20=

disk out of service and tells about the raid being degraded.

However if I reboot, the drive with errors is back in business and used=20=

as master of the array.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but I guess we at least need=20=

limited support for metadata write so we can tell the "controller", and=20=

ourselves about the state of our disks.

I hope you will retain the online rebuild feature when this is done?

I can live without support for configuring RAIDs, but online rebuild=20
would be tough to be without. Having to go to BIOS for rebuild and wait=20=

for an hour before the system can be online again is a nightmare :-)

Or do you think this is a job for vendor supplied management tools?

Regards,
Frode Nordahl