Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:38:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        Chet Hosey <chosey@nidhog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boa small/fast web server

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Chet Hosey wrote:

> I don't know if this is relevant, but when listen() is called on a socket
> (as it likely is by boa), the application can tell the kernel how many
> queued connections to keep. Although I may be entirely wrong, I would
> guess that perhaps boa isn't letting the kernel queue enough connections.
>
> Unfortunately, there seems to be no simple way to override the
> application's requests. A cap may be set on backlog length using
> kern.ipc.somaxconn; depending on what boa requests, increasing this value
> (default 128, it seems), may help.

Chet,

Thanks for the tip. Boa is requesting a backlog of 250, while
kern.ipc.somaxconn was set to 128. These numbers seem rather large - at
peak Boa is completing about 25 to 30 images per second - but I tried
setting somaxconn to 250, and it seems to have worked! The number of
overflows reported hasn't changed since I restarted Boa. I haven't yet
been able to determine with a great amount of confidence whether this has
cured the broken image problem, as I'm still getting a lot of connection
reset by peer errors in Boa's error log, along with the dodgy "-H605"
timezone (it should be something like "+1000")

Thanks again. :)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/