Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:14:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ted Wisniewski <ted@wiz.plymouth.edu>
To:        jesper@skriver.dk (Jesper Skriver)
Cc:        nevans@nextvenue.com (Nick Evans), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG ('freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'), freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG ('freebsd-net@freebsd.org')
Subject:   Re: bridging

(* On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:13:07PM -0400, Nick Evans wrote:
(* > Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't bridging of two interfaces supposed to
(* > make a duplicate of the traffic from one onto another? Why is it then that
(* > on the second interface I bridge to I only see broadcast and multicast
(* > packets? I have fxp0 and fxp1 acting as a bridge, fxp0 sees all kinds of
(* > http traffic, napster, IM, etc. but fxp1 sees only multi/broadcast packets.
(*
(* Bridging will only bridge unicast packet's who's destination MAC adress is
(* on the other side of the bridge.

	How about RIP?  I recently tried to upgrade my FreeBSD 4.0
bridging-firewall to CURRENT and I could no longer get RIP packets through
(reliably) (even with no rules and "DEFAULT_TOACCEPT") and had all kinds of
routing problems...  Routers could not learn the route out because RIP was
not going through.  Of course I backed back off to 4.0-RELEASE and life was
good again...  I sent in a PR but have not heard anything yet.

Advice?

Thanks

--
|   Ted Wisniewski    		     INET:  ted@oz.plymouth.edu          |