Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:38:36 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

> > So, how about it?  Should we set up a page so we have a URL to put in the
> > Pine insecurity notice that shows, "you can live without Pine"?  I'd propose
> > the first two most popular mailers (it seems) after Pine: mutt and exmh.
>
> I seriously doubt anybody would be willing to go to that much trouble,
> making this suggestion sort of a no-op at best.  It seems to me that
> we'll be getting just a tad like those 50's politicians who saw
> communists under every bed if we're just going to start blacklisting
> useful ports left and right without fixing them.  If we can prove a
> vulnerability (and not just the risk of one, since risks are
> everywhere) then we should FIX the vulnerability and move on.  We
> don't have to get the changes taken back and we don't have to do
> anything fancier than drop patches into the relevant ports
> directories.
>
> - Jordan

Who has the motivation (of any type) to find and fix the likely hundreds of
security problems left, though?  Kris marked it forbidden because it's just
too much work that's never going to get done to have even a reasonable
assurance of its safety.  But, you propose actively finding which of those
problems in the code are vulnerabilities -- that's even more work than just
fixing them.

If anyone wants to create a "secure pine" patchset, which will likely end up
in the hundreds of kilobytes, I'm sure that would be a good reason to not
mark pine as forbidden.  Another possibility might be to force pine into a
chroot... I guess the only good advice to give if you HAVE to run pine is to
run it inside a jail.