Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:03:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        rbolin@netchannel.net (Ron Bolin)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current 3.0 10-9-97i

Ron Bolin wrote...
> In building the present current, the ps command gives the following
> error:
>
> rlb3:/home/rbolin>ps -a
> ps: proc size mismatch (1312 total, 652 chunks)
>
> I believe this is connected with a change in the proc file system as the
> man pages shows several different
> directories under /proc that I don't have. Where is the best place to
> determine what to do when changes are made in
> current like this - or is browsing the source the only place or am
> I just in the middle of some in progress work?

	The best way to find out when changes like this are made is to read
the -current mailing list, and the cvs-all list.

	Whenever you get errors like that from ps, or w (I'd bet that w
will give you bogus results as well), the best thing to do is:

rebuild and reinstall libkvm
then, rebuild ps, w, and top

	I just updated the kernel on one of my machines last night, and I
got a similar error message.  Rebuilding things in that order fixed them
for me.  (and that will almost always fix problems like that)

(BTW, you might want to adjust your mailer so that it doesn't send both
text and html versions of your mail...)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry