Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 23:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick@mindstep.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd and userland ppp

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> The only other option is to use netgraph.  I'm thinking that a ng_nat module
> would eliminate some situations -- however the majority would be would be
> those requiring natd as a daemon (such as plain Ethernet or PPPoE) and not
> the nat-enabled user-ppp.

mpd uses all netgraph kernellevel processing for it's PPP
(though is can do it itself if it needed to)
It wouldn't take much to add a NAT module at the head of the chain..
for configuration We'd use the Netgraph ascii parser.

I'd like to make an IPFW (or IPF) node as well
but the difficult bit is working out exactly where to slot it in..

Basically it requires the ability to slot oneself just below the
top interface of ANY network interface, (including lo, tun, ng, etc.)

it might be a job more for ALTQ..