Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:31:38 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault), dillon@apollo.backplane.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error in vm_fault change

%> As someone interested in realtime I'll toss two requirements at
%> you: you should be able to behave as if you have less physical
%> memory than you do to permit locked in regions (should be easy),
%> and your algorithms should be able to define a maximum amount of
%> time (for a specific configuration) that it will take to reduce
%> that number, that is, if I give you five seconds warning can you
%> guarantee me more two more MB memory?  For the second requirement
%> don't concern yourself with obvious Unixy issues or anything outside
%> the VM subsystem, only that the algorithms in your now well contained
%> subsystem are determinate.
%>
%Your comments about "goals" are correct.  The obsolete notion of priority
%is specious.

No, it isn't.

People (or rather organizations) are now using "OSS unix" stuff to
do things like control flight and targeting and other interesting
stuff.  The lingo is based on "priority".   Who gives a shit
about interactive users ;-).  Meeting deadlines is probably
orthogonal to system throughput.

Russell

%
%--
%John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
%dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid
%jdyson@nc.com         | and it irritates the pig.
%
%To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
%with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
%