Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 21:44:27 -0700
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying ARP warning messages.

On Saturday, Oct 26, 2002, at 20:24 US/Pacific, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Don't get snooty..
> the question is :"why do you want to do that?
> Is it to get more bandwidth?

The answer is:  None of your business.  It was a simple technical
question, to which I was given a simple technical answer, which made me
warm and fuzzy and happy all over.  There's no need to answer your
irrelevant questions.

If you don't think my response is polite and friendly - well, you're
the one who challenged the design without knowing the requirements,
which is fairly rude to begin with.

>>> Is this your attempt to get more throughput using 2 logical nets
>>> through
>>> the same switch?
>>
>> No.
> ok, then..... "why?"

See above.

>>>   I'd fork out the extra $5 for switched cable and
>>> connet them together directly and bypass the switch (for teh 2nd
>>> link)
>>> (probably faster too)
>>
>> Then you'd be as unsuccessful at meeting my requirements as you've
>> been
>> unresponsive to the question I asked.
>
> Well since you don;t SAY what your requirements are, I can only try
> guess.. and as you have now said hta tit is not the only valid reason I
> can think of, I can;t think of any other reason to do what you are
> trying to do.

I can think of a lot of reasons to have multiple physical interfaces on
the same network.  I didn't ask for a critique of the solution design,
I asked how to stop the kernel messages.  If you knew the answer, why
didn't you give it?  Since you apparently didn't know the answer, why
didn't you simply hold your peace?

>> Fortunately Mr. Bowman promptly gave me the answer below, which is
>> exactly what was needed.
>
> which is fine but I'm stilll puzzled as to why someone would want to do
> that if it's not to get extra bandwidth.

While you're cogitating, you might ask yourself why there actually
exists a sysctl switch for that setting.  Apparently other people have
the need to use it as well.

<end thread>

KeS