Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 22:30:09 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw
Subject:   Re: New installation notes

>    When the installer finally did come up, both drives showed up as
>sd0 and sd1 with the expected partitioning.  I fdisked sd0 and told it
>to use the entire drive for FreeBSD.  However, when I went to
>disklabel sd0, it defaulted with an MSDOS partition (sd0e) the size of
>the entire slice.  I deleted it and then went to allocate the
>filesystems.  Was I supposed to leave a small MS-DOS filesystem for
>the boot manager?  My intention was to have the boot manager come up
>and ask me to select DOS (booting off the second drive) or BSD
>(booting off the first drive).  Is this possible, and if so, how do I
>specify this?  Does it have something to do with importing an MS-DOS
>disk slice as a FreeBSD partition?  Currently, the computer boots
>straight into FreeBSD.

The whole drive can't be used for BSD if there is a boot manager
because if the whole drive is used for BSD then there is no space
left for the boot manager.  An MSDOS partition shouldn't be necessary
and shouldn't be created.  Just create a BSD partition starting
somewhere after the boot manager.

Bruce