Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:14:55 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs lock panic in -current

In article <199704030254.TAA15269.kithrup.freebsd.current@phaeton.artisoft.com> you write:
>Julian has my namei/nameifree and "EXCLUDE" NDINIT() op redundant
>code reduction changes.
>
>Feel free to commit them.

Well, I haven't seen them, so I can't comment.  But I would be willing to
look at your code sometime.  Several others have volunteered, it looks like,
as well.

>I just sent you (posted) some Logical Name support code.  Feel free
>to commit that.

I remember that, I think.  It was fairly close to how I would have done it.
However, I don't know that it's *worth* doing it, as it's a very
experimental thing.  But maybe -current is a good place for that, now.

>You keep suggesting that I should upload my complete patches
>for my working code set (which are based on a snapshot from June
>of 1994).  These patches were already deemed "unsuitable".

Actually, what we would all prefer is a set of patches related to a SINGLE
problem.  *Or* you do what Julian and others have done, when making sweeping
changes:  track -current, put the code up for anon. ftp or cvs, and
encourage people to grab it.

Yes, that means a lot of work on your part to continue to track -current.
That's why the people who do such sweeping changes are few and far between
-- david and john spring to mind ;).  Or the SMP work.

I believe the problem for *you* is that you haven't been standing still, and
now your working set is radically different from "our" stuff.  So,
naturally, you're pissed that you have to go back and seperate individual
projects and re-apply them to a set of files that are now completely
different or completely uninteresting to you.

I don't blame you for being frustrated.  I don't blame Jordan for being
frustrated.

I don't know what the solution is; I know I'd like to have you working on
more mainstream code, and get some of the stuff you've done integrated.  But
I think the first step is making the code publicly available, not just to a
single individual.

Sean.