Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 19:04:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        bde@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bruce vandalism again

> Bruce.
>
> I know this has been discussed before,
> but I'm not convinced  that you are mving with the agreement of
> everybody here.
>
>  int
> -ether_ioctl(struct ifnet *ifp, int command, caddr_t data)
> +ether_ioctl(ifp, command, data)
> +       struct ifnet *ifp;
> +       int command;
> +       caddr_t data;
>  {
>         struct ifaddr *ifa = (struct ifaddr *) data;
>
> I know I am converting every function I add and anything I massively
> rewrite to use prototypes.
> I know I have a lot of people on my side here.
> a commit that does nothing but this vandalism is REALLY ANNOYING!

Prototypes will perform their intended function when they are declared
in the header file, without needing the function declarations to contain
them.

Changing the function declarations allows the (dubious) benefit of
compiling the stuff under C++.  Even then, you need BEGINDECLS/ENDDECLS
to ensure that they are C symbols so that linking is still possible
because of the idiot compiler writers "decorating" symbols.

I would much prefer that the code remain as portable to *C* compilers
as it can possibly be,  This can be done *without* protoizing the
actual function declataions.

I, for one, appreciate what Bruce is doing.  I own hardware for which
gcc is unavailable, and for which I am unwilling to become your friendly
neighborhood GCC distributor for a 2 year commitment.

Even mormon missionaries are only required 18 months, these days: 2 years
is too long.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---