Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:08:54 -0600
From:      Beach Geek <labeachgeek@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading ports problem with portupgrade(pkgng)

> > System: FreeBSD/i386 10-current, base/head(src)=r244363,
ports/head=r309344.

> > I upgraded to r244363 from an Oct 3rd(ish) version. Followed
ports/UPDATING for pkgng to edit make.conf and convert pkgdb.db.

> > I'm now trying to update my ports (from tree, not pkgs), and I get:
> >
> >     # portupgrade -ae
> >     USING PKGNG
> >     Stale dependency: ORBit2-2.14.19 --> glib-2.28.8_4 -- manually run
'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.

> >     # pkgdb -F USING PKGNG pkgdb -F not supported with PKGNG yet. Use
'pkg check' directly.

> >     # pkg check -d (also tried pkg check -d -a)
> >     #
> >
> > Running portupgrade -ae gives same message as before.
> >
> > Went to port tree, upgraded glib with 'make deinstall reinstall clean'.
Then....
> >     # pkg info glib glib-2.28.8_5 Some useful routines of C programming
(current stable version)

> > Run portupgrade -ae...... same message.
> >
> > Could someone point me in the right direction...
> >
> > If I'm misunderstanding the man & wiki pages, please explain (I'll even
wear the pointyhat).

> > Thanks, BG
>
> An update.....
> 4 servers have the problem in my previous post, and I've yet to find a
way to use portupgrade.
> Only answers I've received were to use packages via pkgng. (Not an
option).

> For the other 9 servers, I tried it a little differently.
>     -  switch to pkgng
>     -  svn base and ports
>     -  upgrade base
>     -  upgrade ports with portupgrade.
>
> Worked fine for 8 of 9.
>
> Will be rolling the 5 broke servers back (yes, we have bkups) ;)
>
> Will leave the 8 working ones running pkgbg, and see how it goes.
>
> Still wondering, how to repair the database w/o pkgfb -F so portupgrade
will work?

> And as I understand,  poudriere must be used instead of portupgrade to
create packages?

> Thanks,
> BG

Please post responses here instead of emailing me directly.

Only "fixes" that have been suggested are:
    * use packages only
    * delete all packages and /usr/local, then reinstall all packages.

For ppl that want to build/install ports from the ports tree, what are our
options for fixing pkg db problems so we can keep ports upgraded?

Note: "pkg check" is missing on wiki page.

BG