Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2012 15:28:33 -0500
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IdeaPad Y580 Laptop - 59359513 - Dawn Gray

On 2 December 2012 15:08, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that the nVidia chip used is a supported one, but it
> lacks a frame buffer. Instead it uses the frame buffer on the Intel
> graphics part of the CPU. On Windows, it also only uses the nVidia GPU
> for some operations and the Intel for more basic ones where its
> integration into the CPU will result in optimum performance. The
> result is no support on anything but Windows for the nVidia.You can
> find more on this at:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus/

So my only option is to use the integrated intel gfx?

> The other big issue with the graphics is the lack of the ability to
> switch back to console mode. Once X is started, you have no ability to
> get a vty screen. This is especially annoying when something in the
> graphics (probably the KMS) glitches and the display goes bad. the
> only recovery is a re-boot. I keep hoping that console mode support
> will be written at some point, but it has not happened to this point
> and kib (who wrote the KMS code) has stated that he has no plans to
> write it.

Annoying, but this happens so rarely I am not very concerned at this time.

> Lenovo does white-list wireless cards and the cards on it all have
> Lenovo specific PCI IDs. I bought a standard Intel 2200/BGN card and
> it would not work. I had to buy a Levovo branded card at four times
> the price. (My T520 came with a RealTek card.)

As long as the intel wireless works, I am not very concerned about this.

My other option for roughly the same price is

ThinkPad T530

Processor:	Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
Display Type:	15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display,
Mobile Broadband Ready
System Graphics:	Intel HD Graphics 4000
Total Memory:	4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)       [ I'd likely need to
upgrade this separately ]
Pointing Device:	UltraNav with Fingerprint Reader for Color Sensor,
Smart Card Reader
Camera:	720p HD Camera with Microphone
Hard Drive:	500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical Device:	DVD Recordable 8x Max, Dual Layer, Ultrabay Enhanced
System Expansion Slots:	Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader & Smart
Card Reader
Battery:	6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+
Power Cord:	90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
Bluetooth:	Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters:	Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN

I really need to make my decision today.  I need a development laptop
to replace my desktop.  Graphics don't need to be great but should be
non-VESA

--
Eitan Adler