Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD remote root exploit ?

:
:Actually, Heimdal's telnetd _is_ vulnerable, but I don't know if it is
:exploitable.  Sending it a big fat AYT gets it to crash with `seY[' on
:the stack.

    Oh joy.  Hmm.  Then I don't know... it calls output_data() to generate
    the AYT answer, I don't see anything particularly wrong with the code
    unless nfrontp exceeds BUFSIZ.  That's fragile, it could be that something
    else is causing nfrontp to exceed BUFSIZ and breaks the snprintf()
    'remaining' calculation in output_data().

						-Matt