Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 00:02:05 +0100
From:      Stefan Grefen <grefen@carpe.net>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        jakob@teligent.se (Jakob Alvermark), garyj@muc.de, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAPI driver?

In message <m0xhskJ-0000EXC@hcswork.hcs.de>  Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> From the keyboard of Jakob Alvermark:
>

> The difficulty in producing a CAPI for BSD would be the lack of STREAMS
> in the BSD kernel(s) - when you have a look at CAPI 2.0 (or even CAPI 1.1)
> you will see that the Unix CAPI specification is STREAMS based, so before
> implementing a CAPI you will need to implement STREAMS.

Depends on what you need/want.
It can be done in the socket enviroment for apllications (source compatible).

The only problem is the Streams clone facility, but I have that already.

> A CAPI would be a highly welcome thing, but i doubt we'll ever have one
> due to the huge amount of design and coding work necessary to get one.

YUP, I can only offer my clone device but thats it (no spare time in the
near/medium future ...)

On the other hand wha would we gain? We could compile applications build for
CAPI drivers, we couldn't use CAPI driver coming with the cards (unless
we present a MSDOS/BIOS enviroment too).

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                           Am Hummertal 4, 55283 Nierstein, Germany
grefen@carpe.net                        +49 6133 927484   Fax:+49 6133 927486