Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:45:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.dyndns.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gnome-1 slow

I have been tracking gnome since the port for version 1 was released (and
I had used the prior port with none of the problems I will mention here)
and have seen it become mostly useable. ;) The main problem I have now is
that gnome applications take forever to launch.  Indeed, I think every
gnome app I have tried (and I have tried most of them) seem to take longer
to come up than does Netscape.  I'm on a Pentium 133 with 48 megs of ram
and 200+ megs of swap, so that's not it.  Another, possibly related
problem is that none of the applications can attach to esd, whether it is
launched from the gnome session manager or from the command line.  For
this problem. I have a generic SB 16 PNP of pcm1.

Has anyone else had these problems? I will note that gimp does not start
up slow like this, the spash screen comes up within probably a second or
two of typing the command.  I am using 3.1-STABLE from a couple of weeks
ago.

Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician
Snyder Oil Corporation