Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:12:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, str@giganda.komkon.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Danger Ports

> From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:20:57 -0800 (PST)

<..>

> > I am not sure if filtering some reserved networks would not stop legible
> > traffic for some people. E.g. Home.net (@Home, @Work)
> > is using 10.0.0.0 to number their aggregation routers. Thus its
> > users will probably suffer if they block this network at the firewall.
>
> No they won't suffer, reserved networks are reserved, blocking them
> at AS boundaries is a BCP, both source and desitnation address.  It
> does do some funny things to traceroute, but it doesn't effect normal
> operations:

Yes, you are right. Thanks for correcting me.
The will be no problem for general traffic.
The only problem would be if one wants
to find out which of the ISP's routers is causing the connectivity problem
at the particular moment (as I had to do this many times to
prove @Work's customer service that _they_ have problems).

Thanks,

Igor
Igor