Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 14:26:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        dhawk@netcom.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Converting Linux passwd file to FreeBSD

Hello.

Quoting from Seppo Kallio (Fri Oct 27 07:11:20 1995):
> >I have a 300 user Linux system (for conferencing) that I'm
> >converting to FreeBSD. I'd like for the existing users to
> >login to the new system with their existing userids/passwords.
> I think it goes like this:
>
> 1. You must use DES in FreeBSD
> 2. cp /etc/master.passwd /etc/master.passwd.bak
> 3. use vipw and include Linux /etc/passwd efter FreeBSD /etc/passwd
> 4. delete linux root etc accounts
> 5. add the missing account expiration etc. fields on every
>    Linux passwd file line (after group id the characters ::0:0)
> 6. exit vipw

1. You must use DES in FreeBSD
2. cp /etc/master.passwd /etc/master.passwd.bak
3. delete linux system accounts (root, daemon, opr, ...)
4. write a shell script to read a line in the old passwd, add account
   expiration fields, write to the new passwd (append mode :)
5. run it
6. run pwd_mkdb (man pwd_mkdb).
7. Enjoy

Bye,
--
#        $Id: .signature,v 1.12 1995/08/14 12:10:54 piero Exp $
Piero Serini                                            Via Giambologna, 1