Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:19:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Cc:        security-officer@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mistake in security advisory.

I'd like to point out what I think is a slight error in the security
advisory, although I may be wrong about this.  Watch for my c-style
comments below:

# ls /usr/src/crypto/telnet/telnetd

A response of

ls: /usr/src/crypto/telnet/telnetd: No such file or directory

indicates you do not have the sources present and should download the
non-crypto-telnet patch.

These patches have been verified to apply to FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE,
4.3-RELEASE and 3.5.1-STABLE dated prior to 2001-07-20 (users of
3.5.1-RELEASE must have applied the patches from FreeBSD Security
Advisory 00:69 prior to applying this patch).  These patches may or
may not apply to older, unsupported releases of FreeBSD.

2a) For systems with the crypto-telnet sources installed

Download the patch and the detached PGP signature from the following
locations, and verify the signature using your PGP utility.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-01:49/telnetd-crypto.patch
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-01:49/telnetd-crypto.patch.asc

/* This patch applies cleanly to 3.5.1-STABLE systems, and the above
directory exists. */

# cd /usr/src/
# patch -p < /path/to/patch
# cd /usr/src/secure/libexec/telnetd
# make depend && make all install

/* This directory does NOT exist, only /usr/src/libexec/telnetd exists in
3.5.1-Stable */

2b) For systems without the crypto-telnet sources installed

Download the patch and the detached PGP signature from the following
locations, and verify the signature using your PGP utility.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-01:49/telnetd.patch
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-01:49/telnetd.patch.asc

# cd /usr/src/
# patch -p < /path/to/patch
# cd /usr/src/libexec/telnetd
# make depend && make all install

/* Yet this command appears to build the telnet daemon with the applied
patches.  Can someone confirm this for me?  For what it's worth, the
above advisory confused me, so I simply re-cvsupped my entire source
tree, and then followed the instructions immediately above. */

Perchance a correction can save someone else the same trouble.

-Dan mahoney

--

"Don't be so depressed dear."

"I have no endorphins, what am I supposed to do?"

-DM and SK, February 10th, 1999