Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 18:22:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Freebsd what is it like?

[Falling for what's probably a troll.]

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Peter "Luna" Altberg wrote:
> But no desktop user who is supposed to do anything but PLAYING with free
> s/w, should abandon "Micro$oft". You teenagers out there can talk all
> you want about "free BSD" for desktops. It's still an illution. There's
> just not the software out there for it. You can't make a livin' by
> running spreadsheets the latest "Deamon News Style": Emacs => awk => ss.
> Three programs instead of one: Excel...

My teenage years are more than a decade behind me, and I find the
illusion to be *much* more productive than anything from
MicroSoft. The only problems I have are from people who already "drank
the koolaide" (as an ex-Machead coworker put it) sending me documents
designed for a world in which nobody runs software from anyone but
Bill Gates.

I don't need to run spreadsheets (I get to do createve work for a
living), so I don't know what the OSS spreadsheet situation is like. I
do know that real office software is one of the few things that OSS
has problems with - because the OSS authors have little or no need for
it. If your work on a computer centers around spreadsheets or short
documents, or bank accounts, or short documents - you're better off
not running OSS. If you want to run OSS but really need those
capabilities, you can use the commercial Linux offerings: Star*Office
or Corel's OfficeSuite (or whatever it's called), for example.

By the way, the replacement for Excel isn't Emacs/awk/ss, it's
psql. It's still one program - and it's still scriptable.

	<mike