Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:25:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dial-out server?

Hi!

I have a lot of users using a modem to dial out to various locations. Up
til now I've had one machine with FreeBSD and a modem to do the job. Very
simple setup, I use the userland ppp with the -auto option. Problem is
that it can only be used to reach one destination at a time and I have to
manually quit ppp and start it with another setting whenever the user(s)
want it to reach another destination I'm now thinking of setting up a
dedicated server for this, with maybe 3 or 4 modems.

I was wondering if I can make ppp (or some other program) to pick a modem
thats not in use automatically, as there will be more "destinations" than
modems.

Or do you know about any good hardware to do this, that's not too
expensive.

I'm thinking about something like a box with an incoming ISDN PRI, a
number of modems, and then a FreeBSD box with a multiport card. But I
don't know if such hardward exists...

TIA,
=09Jakob Alvermark

 Teligent AB, P.O. Box 213, S-149 23 Nyn=E4shamn, Sweden  =20
Telephone +46-(0)8 520 660 00 * Fax +46-(0)8 520 193 36=20
 Direct +46-(0)8 520 660 32 * GSM +46-(0)70 792 16 57